Reference : ERIN-2016-043
Contract type: Permanent contract
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is offering a permanent researcher position in mixed reality systems for environmental applications. She/he will join the Environmental Informatics (ENVINFO) Unit of the Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department. The Environmental Informatics Unit is designing, implementing and evaluating innovative ICT methods and applications required in the environmental domain for sustainable resources management, environmental impact reduction and environmental disaster management.
The Unit is organised in four technical areas: data visualisation, mixed reality, geo-computation and data analytics. This position will enhance ongoing work in the field of mixed reality and environmental issues and will complement work in existing European and Luxembourgish projects.
The ENVINFO computer scientists cooperate with various experts from environmental sciences in order to develop new algorithms, create effective methods and to build efficient software applications. The Unit’s work is designed to assist domain experts to tackle challenging environmental issues. Work also extends to predicting the expected behaviour of systems with AI and Machine Learning techniques.
The position aims to complement ongoing work involving the application of mixed reality (augmented and virtual reality) for use in the environmental domain. The work will include exploring how mixed reality technologies can be used in the understanding of the unfolding of natural disasters, protecting biodiversity, managing natural resources in a sustainable way and more globally supporting people to behave in an environmentally-friendly manner. Some of these applications will require the use of space-related data.
The activities will bring together work on mixed reality and data visualisation. The post will also involve looking at how to connect geo-computation tools and mixed reality.
Her/his main mission is to actively contribute to research, development and innovation and to participate to the definition and contribution to newly developed RDI projects. The position requires a strong interest and proven experience in research (e.g. accepted publications) as well as in software development.
She/he will mainly be asked to:
- Design, develop and implement new mixed reality systems;
- Integrate mixed reality components into larger systems to deal with environmental issues;
- Take over autonomously entire tasks of the RDI projects;
- Develop new knowledge, protocols, techniques;
- Actively engage in the further development of existing tools;
- Actively propose potential improvements and test them for their added value;
- Engage in patent formulation where appropriate.
The applicant is also expected to intervene on the following tasks:
- Contribute to RDI project development/work packages;
- Disseminate results in form of high impact scientific publications (including as first author), write technical reports when required, make presentations at workshops/conferences;
- Actively contribute to the development of collaborative projects with industry; Being a force of proposal to this regard;
- Develop scientific and technological networks.
- A PhD in computer science
- Any additional diploma in computer science would be considered as an asset
- Experience of working in an RTO or similar research environment would be an asset
- At least two years experience after the PhD
- Experience of collaborative projects
- Some experience in contributing to writing project proposals targeting national or international calls is considered an asset
- International experience is considered an asset, as well as some knowledge of Luxembourg and the Luxembourgish socio-economic and industrial system
- Software development, in particular for 3D environments using Unity
- Hardware prototyping, using raspberry PIs or other similar devices
- Experience of Hololens, HTC Vive, ARKIT and/or ARCORE would be an advantage
- Simulation and/or modelling of environment related issues
- Experience in the application of IT in the environmental domain or in the space sector is not mandatory but considered an asset
- Designing and leading experiments involving novel ICT systems
- Strongly motivated, challenge and result oriented mind-set
- English mandatory
- French and/or German would be an asset
Candidates interested in the above position can apply online. The application file should include:
- A CV
- A motivation letter
- The names of two or three referees
- A list of publications, invited talks, patents, PhD supervisions and granted projects